Sunday, May 13, 2012

Lost in Translation, Part 2

I couldn't resist one last post... a second installment of what I've called "Lost in Translation." Here, I've gathered some more of my favorite samples of what is affectionately called "Engrish." And just in case it needs to be said, this is in no way meant to be rude or disrespectful... it's just darn funny. Translating from Japanese into English is not simple, and some things just don't translate well. Here's proof.


I love how polite this is... "We hope you can choose the best one for yourself." Truly, there are days when picking what to eat for lunch can be a difficult decision. I seem to recall this sandwich being a good one, so evidently I chose well.



"Flu(e) is becoming popular." I like how it says "Please wash the hand..." as though just one clean hand will suffice.

Aren't these tissues cute? 

This one was too easy.

"Fresh smell of Italy production lemon matches to fine quality tea." Hmmmmmm...

This fruit drink is so happy!

I was never quite sure what a "digestive" biscuit might be.

I just like the name of this candy. It's fun to say. And it's fun to eat too!

This is from Okinawan Sweets Fashioncandy. Fashioncandy?


I love Orion Beer's tag line... "For Your Happy Time."

Just read it. Makes you smile, doesn't it?

Love this one.

OK, so nothing is translated into English here, but this just cracked me up. This lovely young lady is demonstrating how easy it is to use shoji screen paper. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why she's dressed up like this...

"The sweet of OkashiGoten value the material of Okinawa and handmade warmth." Well... I don't know about all that, but I will tell you these Shikuwasa (Okinawan lime) cakes were TASTY!

I LOVE the kids' clothing. This little vest says, "Snappily Poet."


More kids' clothing... So fun to read...

And while I'm on the subject of clothing, I must add some things I've seen on biker jackets. I wasn't able to photograph any, but I can remember a few. These are actual sayings I saw on the backs of biker jackets out and about on the streets:
"Yellow Corn"
"Ham Steaks"
and... my personal favorite... "Expeditionary Crusts"
I am not making this up.


Well then, call me Greedy!

I don't think there were actually any donkeys served at this restaurant... but I didn't ask. I didn't really want to know.

I wish you could see it, but you'll have to take my word for it. The name of this pub is "Be-Crayon."

I always loved the name of this hair salon. 

This was posted at a Tokyo train station. Can you zoom in on it? It's OK... I'll break it down for ya...



"Any masterpiece just becomes noise disturbance when emanating from earphones." I've always thought so, but doesn't this put it so politely and eloquently?

"Your seat should only be as wide as your bottom, not the width of your spread legs." The best part is the graphic.

This just flat cracks me up! 

No English translation needed for this one. Seems pretty clear to me!



This one is my favorite. Just read it. Then read it again. If you figure out what it means, let me know.

All of this makes me a little "homesick" for Okinawa. What an amazing experience it was to call it home... if only for a little while. I'll miss its beauty, its charm, its humor, and its people, and I'll forever treasure the memories we made there. 
We love you, Okinawa!
Yours truly,
The Smiths

No comments:

Post a Comment